If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times. For parents of school-aged students, May is quite possibly the busiest month of the year. All the showcases and class parties and culminating soccer tournaments. My word. Lest you fill your calendar with any more unnecessary events, I’ve limited my 10 Things to just 5 for May and recommend them all from the joy I’ve experienced in year’s past:
1. Pick Your Own Strawberries at Chiles. It’s strawberry season in Virginia and if you’ve ever wondered whether a farm fresh berry tastes the same as a store bought gem, pah-lease make your way to Chiles Orchard this month and see for yourself. (Spoiler: it doesn’t). Chiles is open 9-6 most days, and 9-9 on Fridays for an evening of live music. You won’t mind the views either.
2. The Sunset Series at Carter Mountain has begun. Every Thursday through September, enjoy live music, food, and spirits from Prince Michel Wineshop and Bold Rock Cidery. Get yourself up on the mountain before the summer heat and enjoy the best sunset views in Charlottesville!
3. Crozet Spring Arts and Crafts Festival is May 11 & 12 in Claudius Crozet Park. Equal parts tradition (36 years worth!) and handcrafted artistry, the festival is more than worth its $6 admission. Open 10-5:30 Saturday and 10-5:00 Sunday, ask the fam to give you an hour or two this Mother’s Day weekend to browse vendor booths, meet the artists and listen to folk bands with the Blue Ridge Mountains in the backdrop.
4. Glee Club Concert is May 17. UVA undergrads are getting ready to walk the stage and receive their diplomas next week, and on the eve of graduation, the University Glee Club will give a final performance and send off their seniors in the University Chapel from 8-9 pm. The Finals Performance will include favorite selections from the year. The concert is free though guests should plan accordingly for parking. Wahoowa!
5. Take a weekend trip to The National Aquarium in Baltimore. Memorial Day weekend is the perfect excuse to get outta town and explore a nearby city. My family visited Baltimore a few months ago and the kids fell in love with the National Aquarium. From the touch pools to the shark exhibit to the dolphin show, the kids were mesmerized. Located right on the harbor, make a day out of Charm City and eat and shop around the aquarium.